The American Idol judges and host are making a lot of money - see below - but how about the contestants? Will it pay off for them?
Forbes did January 2014 a full top Idol earners list:
1. Carrie Underwood - $31 million
2. Kelly Clarkson - $7 million
3. Phillip Phillips/Adam Lambert - $5 million each
4. Daughtry - $4 million
5. Scotty McCreery - $3 million
6. Taylor Hicks - $2.5 million
7. Fantasia Barrino/ Kellie Pickler - $ 1.5 million each
8. Katharine McPhee/Kellie - $1 million
9. Jennifer Hudson - $1 million
According to the Associated Press, a Los Angeles judge approved a record contract that paid 2011 Idol winner Scotty McCreery $250,000 for winning the contest and recording his first album.
2011 Runner-up Lauren Alaina received $87,500, which was doubled after recording her first album, Wildflower. Since both contestants were under the age of 18, the agreements needed to be approved by court.
All 2011 top 11 Idol finalists got paid $1,000 for every show they performed during the American Idol Live Tour, according to TMZ. In addition to the $1,000 per concert they share in the merchandise profits from the tour. They also receive $50 in spending cash for non-concert days.
Source: TMZ.com , TMZ.com, Forbes